Creative Commons License
Super Friends by Whitney Holwadel Smith is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at whit-superfriends.blogspot.com. Super Friends: Streets of London

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Streets of London

This was always one of Whit's favorite songs, going back to when he first heard it at age 12 or 13. He had an enormous sense of compassion for the underdog. He didn't listen to my folk and acoustic recordings much, but there were 3 or 4 songs that really got to him. At Terre Haute he became enamored of bluegrass music, especially the old-time stuff. He and I would listen to the same program at the same time on a local Terre Haute radio station, he on his little transistor radio and earphones, and I on the computer streaming broadcast. 


Here is the original version of "Streets of London" he knew, written and performed by Ralph McTell. I can't listen to it anymore without....


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctb-SrwL884

Just added: A link to McTell himself performing the song 1986.

2 comments:

cieldequimper said...

I didn't know this, thanks for sharing it, it's a beautiful song, no wonder it touched Whit.

Pennsylvania slip and fall lawyer said...

I will search this song and listen, Thanks for sharing! Hope I'll enjoy it.