Creative Commons License
Super Friends by Whitney Holwadel Smith is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at whit-superfriends.blogspot.com. Super Friends: My son

Sunday, April 5, 2009

My son

On Saturday morning my beloved son, Whitney Holwadel Smith, took his own life. The prison and justice system took everything else from him, and this was all he had left. Whitney was my life, and now he and that are gone.

I am sorry that I am unable to respond to those of you who have written about this. I want you to know that the people who read his thoughts here were a source of some happiness, or at least something like that, in a life that otherwise knew very little happiness.

At some point I hope to be able to make people with a real voice in these matters aware of who my son was, and how he was ultimately broken by the system. He spent the last year of his life in solitary confinement, he was not allowed to see me in person or even call me. He was tortured to death. And I cannot write anymore now. Please remember my son, and do what you can to honor him.

Love,
Jeff Smith

8 comments:

cieldequimper said...

When you're able to, I'll be here. You know where to find me. It'll be my turn to listen.
Eine Umarmung und viele Gedanken fliegen über den Ozean.

Anonymous said...

I wish I had been able to have the privilege of knowing him. His writings were funny, intelligent, caustic, truthful and heartfelt.

I pray you, your family and he all find peace and comfort.

li-shan Ni said...

dear jeff,

I don't know what to say.. i was so shocked...
I am sorry for your lost, I believe he is missing you too, be strong! and he will be your angel to take care of you!

we love u!

Ariel

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I can not imagine how you must be feeling right now. Please know that those of us on Prisontalk.com are also hurting for you. Please keep us posted about you. We are still here for you.

Jody Shaw said...

I just want you to know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Ninoushka said...

Hello Jeff,
My mother wishes to send you and your family her most sincere condolences. She feels very sorry for Whit and for you and your family. My stepfather lost one of his two sons three years ago so we sort of know what you are going through, although every story is different of course.
A lot of people from my forum prisontalk.com also expressed their condolences and sympathize with your pain. If you feel like reading their messages I will send you the direct link.
I'm still here for you if you wish to talk. And for your daughter or anyone who would need me.
Love,
Nina

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

I'm so sorry for your loss. I have read some of Whit's writing today and I am taken aback by the richness of his words. Please know my thoughts are with you.

Mary Strubbe

elsa said...

Jeff,

I am deeply sorry and genuinely sad to learn about the death of your son. One always exists also by the memory and the place one's got in other people's hearts.
I appreciated all of his texts and think he had a lot to tell to the world.
I will keep you and your family in my thoughts.

Elsa Défontaines